The Royal Palace Amalienborg

Royal Amalienborg Palace is the largest historical monument in the city of Copenhagen. In 1673, Frederick III built a palace and named it after his wife Queen Sophia Amalia, in 1689, the palace was burnt down. In 1750, by order of King Frederick V the construction of the architectural complex of the castle Amalienborg.

 The final construction was completed in 1760.

Designed by architect Nicholas Eytveda four identical detached house rococo facades facing on an octagonal palace square. The architectural complex of the Amalienborg has a length from north to south, 203 m from east to west – 195 m mansions lined with pale yellow marble facades same – differ only in the number of chimneys.

In the middle of the courtyard of the architectural ensemble placed equestrian statue of King Frederik V in the form of the Roman emperor on horseback. Author beautiful monument – the famous French sculptor Jacques Francois Joseph Saly, he worked on the sculpture about 20 years. Monumental equestrian statue recognized as one of the finest equestrian statues in the world.

Each of the four free-standing architectural ensemble Amalienborg palaces belonging to individual monarch and has its own name: mansion Christian VII – Molkov mansion, mansion Christian VIII – Levetsau mansion, mansion Frederik VIII – Brockdorff mansion, mansion, Christian IX – Shaq mansion.

Today, the great number of tourists from all over the world visit the Amalienborg royal palace complex. Visitors have the opportunity to see a part of the royal apartments, household items, clothing, desk accessories. Particularly interesting to see the changing of the royal guard ceremony.