New Carlsberg Glyptotek

New Carlsberg Glyptotek – one of the major art museums of Copenhagen. The museum is located in the city center, behind Tivoli Gardens.

Carlsberg Glyptotek was founded in the 19th century, a great admirer of art by Carl Jacobsen – son of the famous Danish brewer Carlsberg.

 Carl Jacobsen and his wife Ottilia were collectors and connoisseurs of fine art, particularly ancient times. In 1888, they donated his extensive collection of the Danish state.Collection housed in a new building with a temporary museum called New Carlsberg Glyptotek.

The author of the project of the first wing of the museum in 1897, was a famous architect William Dalerup. In 1906, under the supervision of Khaki Kampmann began work on the expansion and improvement of the museum building. It was designed a new wing walls and dome of the Winter Garden. In 1996, the museum has expanded ingenious architect Henning Larsen.

The museum has on view works of art from different eras. The ground floor has a large collection of sculptures Kaya Nielsena, Degas, Rauch, and the famous French sculptor Rodin. You can also see here a vast collection of antiquities from Egypt (relief from the tomb), Middle East (the reliefs of the Assyrian palaces and tomb sculptures), Greece (in particular, known archaic “Rice head», VI cent.), Cyprus and Etruria ( sarcophagi). On the second floor there is a collection of paintings of Danish artists of the XIX century, French artists and other classics of the late XIX century – the beginning of the twentieth century (including Paul Gauguin).

New Carlsberg Glyptotek is an important historical landmark in Denmark. Every year the museum visited by a large number of tourists from all over the world.