Church of Alexander Nevsky

Alexander Nevsky Church – one of the important attractions of Copenhagen. The temple is located in the city center, near the Marble Church and the royal residence Amalienborg.

The history of the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral started in 1881 by Emperor Alexander III and his wife, Maria Feodorovna (nee – Danish Princess Dragmar).

 The church was built by the famous professor of the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts David Grima, he was helped by Professor F. Meldals and local architect, A. H. Jensen.

The temple was built in the shape of a ship, in the pseudo-style of white and red bricks, windows and roof are decorated in the Byzantine style, the facade is crowned with three golden domes with crosses and 6 bells (the total weight of the bells – 640 kg). Inside the church – the beautiful painted walls and ceiling, tiled floor, wooden iconostasis. Also inside the temple is decorated with excellent paintings by famous Russian artists Alexei Bogolyubov, Ivan Kramskoi. Especially beautiful composition at the altar by Fyodor Bronnikov (“Christ tames storm”).

Important shrines of the temple – the icon of Alexander Nevsky and the miraculous icon of Our Lady (Copenhagen, Jerusalem), known as the “weeping.” Icon of the Mother of God was brought to the church from the Copenhagen Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna, which, in turn, got it from Russian monks from Mount Athos. In the southern part of the church at the altar is an icon-case with the icons (“locker Maria Feodorovna”). In the courtyard of the church to the right of the entrance is a bust of the Empress.

Today, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral – the spiritual center of the Orthodox believers of all nationalities.